Practical info

What to know before getting to #brnoregion

Here you can find the basic information and links you will need before coming here 

Getting a job

Find your answers
Are you an EU or non-EU citizen?

Generaly yes. If you wish to work in the Czech Republic as an employee you must obtain a work permit (“povolení k zaměstnání”). The work permit may come with an “employee card” combining a work permit and residence permit for the purpose of employment in one card. In case you already have a long-term residence permit for a different purpose (studies, family, business…) and you want to start working, then you and your employer apply only for the work permit. 


Note: If you are an EU citizen’s family relative, then you don’t need a work permit. If you have a long term residence permit for the purpose of family reunification (visa code 95) with nonEU citizen, you don’t need the work permit either. 


Note: If you are a holder of “special visa/temporary protection for Ukrainian refugees” you have a free access to the labor market and can start work today. 

No. As an EU citizen or EU citizen’s family relative, you don’t have to obtain a work permit to start working in the Czech Republic. When getting employed, the same rules apply to you as to any other Czech citizen. 

That depends on the type of your residence permit. If you have a long-term residence permit for the purpose of business, family (code 17) etc. and you want to start working, you and your employer have to apply for a work permit. There are few exceptions where you are not required to obtain a work permit; for example when you are a student or graduate of a Czech high school or university or hold a long term residence permit for the purpose of family reunification (code 95). See the full list of special cases when you are not required to obtain a work permit to start working. 
The work permit or employment permit is always valid only for a particular position with a particular employer. It is not a permit that would allow you to work wherever. Most larger employers will see to the matter of obtaining a work permit for you themselves as part of the process of hiring you. However, if you have to apply for a work permit yourself, the place to go to is the Labour Office of the Czech Republic (Úřad práce České Republiky). In Brno, the main office is at Polní 37. Your employer will have to announce the open position for a foreigner to the Labour office and you will have to wait 30 days for the position to become available. Read the detailed instructions on the process at the official website of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs. 
Your application has to specify the potential employer, the job position, the place of work, and the length of time the job will last. The folder you have to submit includes your diploma. The original secondary or university degree diploma has to have an apostille or superlegalization – a stamp from the local authority in the country where the diploma was issued and it needs to be translated to Czech by a certified language service. See our guide Authorization, translations and interpreting to find some useful tips. One important detail: the job position stated in the application must have been reported to the Labour Office as being vacant for 30 days. This means that the Labour office will first have to try to fill the position by turning to job seekers who have already registered with it. Only when this is unsuccessful will they then issue a work permit to non-EU citizens. Obtaining the Work Permit is described in depth on the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs’ website
An employee card is a type of work permit that includes a residence card. It means you don’t need to go through another administrative process to obtain a residence permit. A blue card is another type of residence permit, similar to employee card, that’s combined with the work permit, but this time, it is aimed at job seekers with more advanced qualifications. The blue cards are issued in connection with positions requiring university education or higher specialized education and higher income. Both employee or blue cards are linked to a special registry of the Labour Office that is restricted to jobs open to applicants for these cards. The procedure for obtaining both Employee card and Blue card is described at the Ministry of Interior website. 
Disclaimer: Conditions for employing foreigners may vary within particular companies.

How to find a job? 

Check out our job feed to find interesting jobs in #brnoregion or to contact interesting companies directly.  

How to find a job?

Visa & residence

Find your answers
Are you an EU or non-EU citizen?

No, you don’t. 


Citizens of the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland can enter and stay in the Czech Republic without any special permit, solely on the basis of a travel document or an identity card. 


However, having a residence permit does have its advantages in the long run. In some cases, we recommend getting the card once you are in Brno. For details, you can read Brno Expat Centre's Residence permits guide to find out more.

Yes, you do. If you are planning to stay in the Czech Republic for over 90 days, you need to obtain a long-term visa or a long-term residence. 


Applicants for the visa have to specify a purpose for their stay in the Czech Republic and apply for the appropriate visa at Embassy of the Czech Republic. The purpose of stay might be employment, business, scientific research, studies, family reunification, culture or other. 


The Czech Embassy is only authorized to receive an application for a long-term visa; the competent authority for processing it is the Ministry of Interior (MOI). During the procedure, the Czech Embassy communicates with you, invites you for a hearing and calls on you to pick up the visa. Please note that the competent authority for processing your long-term visa or a long-term residency is the Ministry of Interior (MOI). 

Once you were hired by your employer and you have signed the employment contract, you could apply for an Employee card. 


The Employee card is a single permit to stay in the Czech Republic for the purpose of employment and to perform work in the job, for which the card was issued. The Employee card is for all types of employment regardless of the level of required professional qualification. 


You must file the written application in person at your local Embassy of the Czech Republic. 


If you are already staying in the territory of the Czech Republic on a visa for a stay over 90 days or on a long term residence permit for some other purpose, you can file the application with the Czech Immigration office. 


The folder for the application will need to contain i.e. the employment contract, proof of accommodation in Brno, professional qualification or diploma, criminal record, a photograph. For the complete list and requirements contact your local Embassy of the Czech Republic or visit the Immigration office website. 


When your application is approved, the embassy will issue a visa for the purpose of collecting your employee card (D/VR). Before the visa is issued, you will be asked to submit a travel health insurance valid for the period from the date of entry into the CR to the date on which you are to start working. You will automatically join the public health insurance system on the day you start working. 


After the arrival to the CR, you have to visit the MOI office within 3 working days and pick up your employee card. 

Brno Expat Centre provides a general overview and explains how to apply for an Employee card. You can find out more about the process in the guide Residence Permits


For a fee, BEC can arrange for a professional support from an attorney guiding you through the process and fetching all necessary documents. 

How to get to Brno?

The easiest way is to take a plane to Vienna and then hop on a train or a bus right at the airport. From there, you can get directly to Brno in less than two hours.
How to get to Brno?

Costs of living in #BrnoRegion


Food and Free Time


Currency and salary

* mandatory field

Calculator result

See real-life examples of cost of living in #brnoregion

Paul and Francisca

Paul and Francisca are a young couple in their 20s working in customer service at a big international corporate. They live in a simple one-bedroom apartment in Brno-Židenice, with a fully furnished kitchen, a dishwasher, and a washing machine. They cook most of their meals at home but go out for drinks usually at least once a week. To get to work and around the city, Paul and Francisca use public transportation, which costs them each 16,25 euros a month. They report a cost of living of 930 euros on average per month, with about 600 euros going toward rent and utilities.



As a Ph.D. student in the Life Science program at CEITEC, Sarika has a guaranteed scholarship for four years of 890 euros per month, and because of her good study results, the monthly amount is increased by 40 euros yearly. She has her own room in a three-bedroom apartment in the city centre shared with 2 other students and pays 400 euros monthly for it. She says she probably wouldn’t be able to live on the scholarship alone so she also works part-time as a laboratory technician and applies for various European grants for her research funding.



Luke is a British businessman who runs a start-up in Brno. He lives in the city center and flies to London every 2–3 weeks from the Brno airport. As a very busy person, Luke appreciates the time saved on transportation between the airport and the center, as it only takes around 20 minutes compared to 1.5 hours in London. He reports that he usually pays about 46 euros for a return plane ticket. Luke chose to rent a spacious apartment right in the city center of Brno, costing him 1000 euros a month. With no time for hobbies, one of Luke’s few pastimes is going for a drink, and he spends about 9 euros weekly on a few beers.


Important contacts

These organisations will help you get yourself orientated in #brnoregion smoothly.

Brno Expat Centre

Brno Expat Centre is a free public service supported by the City of Brno, dedicated to helping foreign professionals. Their mission is to help you make Brno your new home.  
See more

Immigration Portal of the Czech Republic

Navigate the process of entering the Czech Republic via the official Immigration Portal run by the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic. 
See more

Labour Office – jobs for foreigners

National register for job vacancies managed by the Labour office. Switch to English and in the Advanced search select: 1) REGION > District > “Brno-mesto”, 2) CONSENT OF THE EMPLOYMENT OF FOREIGNERS > “for the foreigners” or “for the employee card” or “for the blue card”.
See more

EURAXESS Centre Brno

ECB provides practical information and support for foreign researchers and their families with the preparation and organization of their trip to our country.  
 See more

Smart Migration Mobile app (Android)

The app provides the most important information about visas and other types of stay in the Czech Republic, employment, social security, education, health, and more.
See more

Centre for Foreigners of the South Moravian region

The Centre helps foreigners with integration into Czech society. They offer free language courses, legal and social consultations, sociocultural lectures, and multicultural activities.
See more